Blog post #6 on article:  Write about a time in your life when you experienced or observed an injustice. How did it make you feel and how did you react? Now, with some time and hindsight, how would you react to this situation if it happened again?

An injustice I have once been a part of is when I use to work at Wendy’s. I worked there for about two years and wanted to move up the ladder there and do other things besides making sandwiches. When it was busy one day I went to the grill to help out because the guy who was doing it looked over whelmed. When I went to assist him, he looked at me in surprise. I know I can handle the grill and if I were to get the opportunity I would get more hours and I really needed more hours. The manger went to me and said you need to go back and make sandwiches which at the time we had plenty of people. The manager calls over to another employee and tells him to help on the grill. I know they felt as though women shouldn’t be on the grill because you never seen anyone except for a manger doing it. How is someone supposed to become more valuable to the restaurant if they are not allowed to learn other things?
            If something like this happened again I would, ask to speak to the manager and tell he/she how I was feeling. I would explain to her that I can handle the grill and if he/she gave me the opportunity to do it and other positions I will be more valuable. I would tell them how I can work more hours and be able to cover someone’s position if they call out. 

Comments

  1. I've experienced many similar experiences in the workplace. I worked in a sexist environment when I worked at a liquor store in my town for three years. I was not allowed to do certain tasks because it seemed like the managers didn't believe I was capable of doing so. Working in places like that can be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #8

"Common Sense" About Youth

SEVEN characteristics of Youth Work